Table of Contents Hide
- Simple Download Monitor Usage
- Simple Download Monitor Features
- Last Thoughts
Simple Download Monitor is arguably the most easy-to-use WordPress plugin for managing and tracking digital downloads from your website. The free plugin provides all the simple tools needed to address the basic needs of users. Moreover, the plugin is extensively used to track and publish downloadable items on your website.
SimpleDownload Monitor provides its users with the strongest tools to manage downloads. Apart from managing your downloads, extensive details about your website visitors can also be viewed using the plugin. To further aid its users, the plugin gives the option to gauge the popularity of your downloads through relevant stats and figures. All its features collectively solve the issue of dealing with downloads on WordPress.
Simple Download Monitor Usage
Step 1: Installation
The plugin can be installed using the WordPress plugin repository. To install the plugin, do the following:
- Click on ‘Plugins’.
- Click on ‘Add New’.
- Search for ‘Simple Download Monitor’.
- Click ‘Install Now’ to install and choose ‘Activate’ to activate the plugin.
Step 2: Creating Downloads
Simple Download Manager allows for all file types to be added on your website. This allows users to add anything they wish on their websites. To add a new download, do the following:
- Click on the newly added ‘Download’ menu on your dashboard.
- Click on the ‘Add New’ button.
- A new page will appear where you can add further details of your download. You can give a title or description to your download.
- Click ‘Select File’ to add your desired file from the media library or upload a file from your computer.
- Users can set an ‘Offset Count’ to modify download count or add a ‘File Size’ and ‘Version’ for their files as well.
- After all necessary information has been added the user can then publish their download using the ‘Publish’ button.
Step 3: Posting Downloads
Downloads can be posted on existing as well as new pages. To post a downloadable item, users need to:
- Click on the ‘Shortcode inserter’ which you can see above the text editor in WordPress posts/pages.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select your desired item.
- Choose whether to include a fancy box on your page using the checkbox provided. A fancy box displays details about your download.
- Users can also choose to open their downloads on a new window.
- Click on ‘Insert SDM Shortcode’ button.
- Publish your page or post
Step 4: Viewing User Details and Stats
The Simple Download Monitor logs details of all visitors downloading an item from your website. To see these statistics, the user needs to:
- Click on the ‘Downloads’ menu.
- Click on ‘Logs’. The Log displays all information of visitors who have downloaded at least a single item from your page. The Log displays the title, file URL, visitors IP address the date and time of the download, the country from where the file was downloaded and the visitor’s username.
To check the count of downloads for your downloadable items, click on ‘Downloads’ and then on ‘Stats’. A page appears displaying the numbers of downloads using a graphical interface. Downloads can be categorized by country or by date for the user to have greater insight.
Simple Download Monitor Features
Simple Download Monitor provides an easy-to-use interface to add, edit or delete digital downloads on your website. All of this can be done conveniently from your WordPress dashboard. Moreover, users have the options to assign tags to their downloads or categorize them. The simple dashboard interface allows not only to view all downloads and make changes but also to view different statistics.
The plugin helps users to track the number of downloads for each download added on the website. The number of downloads can be also be made visible to visitors on the page.
The plugin works by creating a small line of code for each of the downloads added to your website. The lines of code, called “Shortcodes” can be used to place your downloadable items anywhere on a page. Visitors can then download your files using the download button inserted.
Customizable Download Buttons
Download buttons added to the website can be easily customized according to your preferences so that the looks of your website are not disturbed. The text visible on the button can also be altered by the user to suit his/her needs. Moreover, there is an option within the plugin to add a custom box around the download button that provides more information about the files your website visitors could download. Users can also add a thumbnail and title regarding the downloadable files.
This feature allows users to restrict access to certain download files to certain visitors. Using the feature users can restrict visitor behavior by prompting them to log in before downloading items.
In case a website features a lot of downloads, visitors can use the search feature to look for specific downloads. Users can also add a file tree browser using shortcodes in order to give visitors access to a large repository.
Drag and Drop Uploads
This plugin uses the WordPress media uploader interface allowing you to upload files easily by dragging files from your computer to the admin panel.
The plugin allows users to track extensive information about visitors downloading files from a user’s websites. The plugin logs statistics such as viewer IP address, date and time for downloads, the number of downloads as well as the country from which a certain file was accessed by the visitors.
Simple Download Monitor plugin allows users to add duplicates of existing downloads throughout the entire website.
The inclusion of reCAPTCHA in the plugin features makes sure your downloads are safe from bots
Downloads by Country
With the help of the detailed viewer information given to its users through the plugin, users can gauge the popularity of their downloads across different countries. This, in turn, helps users to focus on certain viewers in order to improve your viewer’s experience.
Terms and Conditions
To their convenience, users can also add terms and conditions to their downloads to which viewers have to abide by before download.
Addons and Extensions
Simple Download Monitor comes with a number of extensions. Here are some of the extensions to improve your user experience and functionality.
- Squeeze Form Addon (Email Lock)
- Hidden/Private Downloads Addon
- Amazon S3 Integration
- Email Notification on Download Addon
- Allow Other File Types to be Uploaded
With all the basic features a developer would need, Simple Download Monitor is bound to be one of the most popular download managers for WordPress. The easy-to-use plugin has won our hearts by making it so simple to monitor, manage and track our downloads. Providing great customizability along with the ability to track visitor information with an amazing UI, Simple Download Monitor is surely one of the best widgets available.